Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sesquicentennial Stories: The Promise of UK #91

In the course catalogs for the Agricultural and Mechanical College during the late 1860s-1870s it describes generally the opportunities for students who wished to remain upon the Estate (at this time the campus was located at Woodlands near Ashland) during the vacation (summer) months.  A&M offered students the opportunity to work part of all of the time on the farm or in the shops to allow them to earn money to support the upcoming class sessions.  Another benefit for those working part time was to take summer classes which were organized by “competent instructors.”  No other details were provided.

Watermelon feast, probably during the summer session, 1956
There is no mention of summer class offerings in the course catalog until 1903 when it is formalized as the summer school of mechanic arts.  This summer school was designed especially for technical students, locomotive engineers and firemen, stationary engineers, artisans and mechanics.  “Unusual attention” was paid to courses in mechanical drawing, machine design, and shop-work.
Add caption
By 1904, the summer school included courses in mechanic arts, preparatory studies, and pedagogy.  The mechanic arts courses were designed for those working in the field, for those interested in engineering, or for high school students or others who wished to shorten or to lighten the work of the four year course; the fee for the course was $25.00.  The preparatory studies were for all courses preparatory to the freshman class (English, mathematics, Greek and Latin, French and German); the fee for each course was $7.50.  Pedagogy courses were offered to assist Kentucky teachers to prepare them to do better work in the public schools; the tuition for the course was $6.00.

Dr. Earl Kaufman and campers at the University's Summer school in the forest for teachers; Robinson Experiment Station Substation Camp (Agricultural Extension), 1955
 In 1905, five summer schools were offered which included more than thirty courses of instruction to “afford teachers, college students and those who are preparing for college, a rare opportunity for inexpensive study. By 1907, over 40 classes were offered through 7 schools.

Claudia Milburn, University of Kentucky student teacher in Special Education--University of Kentucky College of Education uses the Fayette County Douglas School as its laboratory in Special Education this summer, Milburn a teacher at the D.T. Cooper School, Paducah, is pinpointing on a globe the landing site of Apollo 11 at Cape Kennedy, from Public Relations Department, 1969
In fact, the mission is similar to that of today’s summer intercession as listed on UK’s website in 2013, “UK Summer School welcomes new and continuing University of Kentucky students, visiting students from other colleges and universities, teachers, and practicing professionals who take courses to advance their credentials.

Courses are available through UK's outstanding colleges including Agriculture, Arts and Sciences, Business and Economics, Communication and Information, Design, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, the Graduate School, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Social Work. Attending Summer School in the heart of the beautiful Kentucky Bluegrass provides the opportunity to visit world-famous horse farms, hike Red River Gorge, spelunk Mammoth Cave National Park, camp at 14 Kentucky State Parks, or just soak up the green of UK's outstanding Lexington Campus.”

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sesquicentennial Stories: The Promise of UK #92

Lucille was born August 20, 1909 in Morehead, Kentucky.  The daughter of Rosetta Proctor Caudill and Daniel Boone Caudill, she was one of five children: sisters, Dr. Claire Louise Caudill (a pioneering physician and founder of Morehead's St. Claire Hospital) and Patricia Caudill Eubank; and brothers, Boone Proctor Caudill and Dr. Charles Milton Caudill). Daniel Boone Caudill was a lawyer and a banker as well as a popular circuit judge of the 21st District.

Lucille attended school in Morehead and showed an early interest in music and drama.  By the time she was 10, Lucille was studying at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music during the summers.  Later Lucille graduated from Hamilton College, a girls’ finishing school in Lexington, Kentucky.  In the 1920s she attended eleven colleges, among them were Transylvania College, the University of Kentucky, and Morehead College (now Morehead State University). Lucille studied voice for many years in Cincinnati, at Stetson College in Florida, at The Ohio State University, in Chicago, at Columbia University and finally the Juilliard School of Music in New York City.   In an interview with Ed Lane, she called herself a “college tramp.”  Lucille’s bachelor’s degree is from OSU. 

Lucille sang in the church, she sang operas, and at the World’s Fair.  She was in theater productions, recitals, and with a radio orchestra.  Living in New York City finally disgruntled Lucille and at this point she had met W. Paul Little at a cotillion in Mount Sterling, Kentucky in the 1930s.
Guignol cast prepares for presentation of first play, Medea, in new quarters in University of Kentucky (UK) Fine Arts Building.  Lucille Little being fitted by Miss Freeman.  1950
 In 1937, she and W. Paul Little were married and they made Lexington their home.  Paul Little was a successful businessman in tobacco, horses, and real estate.  While he was making money, Lucille was focused on the arts.  She threw herself into serving on arts and cultural boards and was involved in many area activities.  Among these various interests, Lucille was an actress at the University of Kentucky’s Guignol Theater. 

Little in Medea
After her husband’s death in 1990, Lucille became heir to a large fortune and she focused her attention on planning on how to enrich the arts and education community.  Her involvement in the cultural life of central Kentucky led to the establishment of several entities.  Little founded and led 10 organizations in the area of the arts, theater, Philharmonic Orchestra and children’s theater.  In 1999, the W. Paul and Lucille Caudill Little Foundation was the 9th-ranked foundation in Kentucky by total dollars donated.  Numerous Kentucky entities have benefited from her generous contributions.

UK Radio Photographic Collection, Lucille Little in audience

Even larger projects include a $1 million donation to the University of Kentucky in the 1990’s to establish a combined fine arts library.  Her gift was matched by William T. Young and the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education’s Research Challenge Initiative, resulting in the Lucille Caudill Little Fine Arts Library and the Learning Center Fund.  The Lucille Caudill Little Fine Arts Library and Learning Center opened Oct. 2, 2000, combining the collections and services of the former Edward Rannells Art Library and the Adelle G. Dailey Music Library and Media Center, a collaboration between the University Libraries and the College of Fine Arts, School of Music.  The Little Library is also the home of the John Jacob Niles Center for American Music.
John Tuska, Lucille Caudill Little, Governor Brereton Jones and others, at the Governor's Awards, 1994
 Little received honorary doctorate degrees from Transylvania University, Georgetown College, the University of Kentucky and Morehead State University.  She was awarded the Lexington Optimist Club Cup.  Her portrait was installed in the Kentucky capitol in the Kentucky Commission on Women’s Kentucky Women Remembered ( exhibit in March 2002.

Lucille Caudill Little , who contributed millions of dollars to central and eastern Kentucky arts and educational institutions, died in October at her home in Lexington. She was 93.